Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ryker William Newton

My brother Willy and his wife Jen had their "little" boy yesterday. Ryker William Newton weighed in at an ASTOUNDING 9l bs 10 ozs and is 21 inches long! We were all shocked to hear how big he was because my brother is tall around 6' 2" but he is a total lurp and his wife is probably 5' 7" but is a skinny girl so between the two of them we never would have guessed that Ryker would come out the size of a 2 month old.
My poor sister-in-law had been dilated to a 4 for the past 2 1/2 weeks and her doctor told her the soonest that he would induce her would be a week after her due date (13th). Lucky for her she had high blood pressure at her last appt. so she had to go into the hospital the next day to be monitored and if it didn't go down then he would induce her. Well it didn't and when the Dr (I am no using that term loosely because I don't think he is that good of a Dr) broke her water hardly any came out. Apparently she was at a "2" where the amniotic fluid is concerned and you are supposed to be at a "14". How her lame Dr. missed that I don't know but we all considered it a blessing that her blood pressure was high or there could have been major complications with Ryker had she been told to wait another week. After being in labor for most of the day and not progressing past an 8, her Dr finally decided to do a c-section. When they took him out, those in the room were so surprised at how big he was and started guessing that he was between 9 and 10 pounds. My poor sister-in-law thought they were just "messing" with her as she put it and didn't really think that he was that big. Well he was and is! He is so cute though and we all love him so much. He barely fits into newborn clothes and so today my sisters and I went shopping to get him much needed 3-6 month clothes because he will be in them in a matter of weeks. He has a lot of hair (mainly in the back) and it is a blondish-brown. He has chubby cheeks, legs and arms. He has the cutest little screechy cry and is just so laid back. We are so happy for Willy and Jen and wish them the best with Ryker.
On a side note, as my sisters and I were seeing Ryker for the first time, Willy finally came back to the hospital after going home and showering. When he walked in the room, he had this huge piece of gauze and tape over his right eye. We all asked him what happened and he told us not to worry about it! Yeah right, we all thought he may have gotten in a fight or something. Well what had happened was that he slipped in the shower and slammed his head on the back of the toilet and was too embarrassed to tell us what had happened. The cut is huge and he refused to get stitches (something about having a shot....wimp) so my sister Kimberlee took steri strips and closed it up as best she could. It looks a lot better now other than it is really swollen. Poor guy, hadn't slept in like 48 hours, gets a beautiful HUGE baby boy and then cuts his head open after slipping in the shower. What a crazy few days, we are just glad that Jen is doing and looking great!


Sadie, Willy and Ryker
Willy's GINORMOUS gash

Ryker William Newton
(notice how short the sleeves are)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is adorable! I am so thankful for Dr. Hinson, most other doctors seem so cruel! I love that she would NEVER make you go past your due date!

--m.k.r. said...

I saw the newborn pics and got so excited that Asher came, but luckily it wasn't Asher..... 9 lbs 10 ounces. I hope your wish does come true under 7 pounds... good luck!! Send the girls over anytime if you need a break... Rylee would love it.

Erica said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I recently started reading Vince Flynn, and I really like him. I'm all about the CIA and conspiracies. Are you on Goodreads?