Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Check up for Asher....Stitches for Sadie

Today was Asher's 2 month checkup and he weighed in at an astounding 13.8 lbs (75th percentile) and is 24 1/2 inches long (95th percentile)! He is a big boy and is very healthy other than his double ear infection. I figured he was going to have ear infections because he has been congested for 2 1/2 weeks. He was still sleeping well so he is either very tough or it wasn't super painful.

Ashman catching up with the Rykman

After we got home from the Dr. the kids were playing in the backyard. Just as I was going to get them for dinner, I heard Sadie scream and keep screaming. I ran to her and she was dripping blood from her hand. There was so much blood that I couldn't tell where she was cut. When I washed off her hand I found a 1 inch gash in the palm of her hand. My neighbor came over because he had heard her screaming to see if she was okay. I showed him her hand and asked if he thought she needed stitches. He looked at it and said he could see "meat" and so yes she would need stitches. Of course this happens with Ryan out of town and I am watching my neighbor boy so I can't fit everyone in my vehicle. My neighbor was nice enough to say Addie and Hayze could stay at his house until my parents got to my house.

Luckily I was able to take her to an urgent care and save myself 75 bucks since it was after hours. She was so brave and other than when they had to numb her hand with the syringe, she was pretty calm and did such a good job. I don't blame her for screaming when they numbed her hand, I would have probably been crying.
All the nurses that were there fell in love with her because she was so cute with them after her hand was numb and when it was all stitched up (6 total) she was very interested in the stitches. I however had to sit down at that point, it was making me light headed and nauseous. The nurse wrapped her hand in purple her favorite color and she got fruit snacks, stickers and a purple ring.
After it was done I asked her what she wanted as a prize for being so brave and her reply was purple and blue finger polish.

She is doing really well now, of course her hand is still numb so we will see how tomorrow goes.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Sadie. However, I am not surprised she was so brave. Remember when Addie got her immunizations and Sadie wanted hers too! What a sweet girl!

Brittney said...

Poor Sadie! I am sad about her hand. Does it hurt today? What is the plan today? Did you get my text last night?

Salty Gal said...

That's no fun! I hate when crappy things happen when my husband is out of town...

I'm glad she is ok :)

No fun when you see your child and blood :(